Who We Are
We are a community of people who believe, follow, and find their greatest joy in Jesus Christ and adhere to the teachings of Scripture. We desire that SBC be a place where people can connect with God and grow in their knowledge of his glory and greatness, as well as find encouragement and accountability through friendships with other believers.
Because of our commitment to the Gospel we are committed to leading people to Christ and growing them in faith. This is our mission and driving passion. We believe the local church is vital to the creation and growth of believers in Jesus Christ. Come and check out one of our Sunday morning worship services at either 9:00 or 11:00, and see what a service at Second Baptist Huntsville is like!
WHAT WE BELIEVE
About the Bible
- The Bible was written by men divinely inspired and is God's revelation of Himself to man. It is a perfect treasure of divine instruction. It has God for its author, salvation for its end, and truth, without any mixture of error, for its matter. Therefore, all Scripture is totally true and trustworthy. It is inerrant and infallible.
- We believe that God exists eternally in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. These three are one God.
- We believe God created the universe by His power and word. We believe that God is all-knowing, all-powerful and ever present.
About Jesus Christ
- We believe Jesus Christ was sent by God the Father into the world to save sinners.
- We believe that Jesus Christ was virgin born, sinless in life and mighty in words and deeds.
- We believe Jesus was both God and man, that He was crucified for our sins, and was bodily raised from the dead. He then ascended to His Father's side where He is head of the church and intercedes for believers.
- We believe Jesus Christ is coming again personally, visibly and bodily to reign as Lord.
About the Holy Spirit
- We believe the Holy Spirit is co-equal with the Father and the Son of God.
- We believe He is present in the world to make people aware of their need for Jesus Christ.
- We believe He also lives in, baptizes and seals every Christian from the moment of salvation.
- We believe He provides the Christian with power for living, understanding of spiritual truth and guidance in doing what is right.
About Human Beings
- We believe people are made in the spiritual image of God, to be like Him in character.
- We believe people are the supreme object of God’s creation.
- We believe that although every person has tremendous potential for good, all of us are marred by an attitude of disobedience toward God called “sin”. This attitude separates people from God and causes many problems in life.
- We believe salvation is God’s free gift to us, but we must accept it.
- We believe only by trusting in Jesus Christ as God’s offer of forgiveness can anyone be saved from sin’s penalty.
- We believe when we turn from our self-ruled life and turn to Jesus in faith we are saved.
- We believe eternal life begins the moment one receives Jesus Christ into his life by faith.
About Eternal Security
- We believe because God gives us eternal life through Jesus Christ, the true believer is secure in that salvation for eternity.
- We believe if you have been genuinely saved, you cannot “lose” it.
- We believe salvation is maintained by the grace and power of God, not by the self-effort of the Christian.
- We believe it is the grace and keeping power of God that gives us this security.
- We believe people were created to exist forever. We will either exist eternally separated from God by sin, or eternally with God through forgiveness and salvation. To be eternally separated from God is Hell. To be eternally in union with Him is eternal life. Heaven and Hell are real places of eternal existence.
About the Church
- We believe a New Testament church is a local body of baptized believers who have agreed together to worship Jesus Christ, edify the believers, evangelize the lost and minister to others. The church has two ordinances: Baptism and the Lord’s Supper. Baptism symbolizes the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ and the new life we have in Him. The Lord’s Supper is a reminder of Christ’s death and anticipates His Second Coming.
WHAT TO EXPECT
When you arrive at Second you will be greeted by a member of our golf cart team giving rides from the parking lot to the main entrance. From there our First Impressions team is there to greet you and answer any questions you may have. They will be able to direct you to the sanctuary, children's area and student center among other locations on campus. As you enter the sanctuary foyer you will be handed a bulletin with information about our church as well as upcoming events. Also, in the back of every pew is a Connect Card and we ask that you would please fill it out and drop it in the offering plate at the end of the service. You can give us as much or as little information as you would like including name, address, phone number, prayer requests and you can even request more information about our church. Please let us know how we can serve you and we look forward to your visit.
WHAT WE DO
Bible as our Sole Authority
- “The whole Bible was given to us by inspiration from God and is useful to teach us what is true and make us realize what is wrong in our lives; it straightens us out and helps us to do what is right.” 2 Tim. 3:16. Since God’s Word is the only completely reliable and truthful authority, we accept the Bible as our manual for living. Our first question when faced with a decision is, “What does the Bible say?” We practice daily Bible reading, Bible study and Bible memorization. The Bible is the basis for all we believe.
Autonomy of Each Local Church
- “He (Christ) is the head of His body, the church; He is the source of the body’s life…” Col. 1:18. Christ is the recognized head of our church, not any person, group or religious organization. While recognizing the value of associating and cooperating with other groups of Christians, we believe every local church should be self-governing and independent from any denominational control.
Priesthood of Every Believer
- “He (Christ) loves us, and by His sacrificial death, He has freed us from our sins and made us a kingdom of priests to serve His God.” Rev. 1:6. ” … You are … the King’s priests … God’s own people, chosen to proclaim the wonderful acts of God.” I Peter 2:9 The Bible teaches that every Christian is called to “full-time” Christian service, regardless of his or her vocation. We practice the truth that every believer is a minister by encouraging every member to find a place of service and ministry. Every believer has direct access to God through prayerful Bible reading.
- “A Tithe of everything you produce belongs to the Lord: it is holy to the Lord.” Lev. 27:30. At Second Baptist Church, we practice tithing for the support of Christ’s Body, the church, as God commands. We recognize that giving 10% of our income is the biblical standard of giving.
Baptism by Immersion
- “For when you were baptized, you were buried with Christ, and in baptism, you were also raised with Christ.” Col. 2:12. We practice baptism by immersion under water, the way Jesus was baptized, and the way the Bible commands.
- Jesus said, “I am the Vine, you are the branches. If you abide in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; but apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5. We believe the only way possible to live the Christian life is by God’s power within us. We seek to practice daily dependence on God’s Spirit to enable us to do what is right. (Phil. 2:13, Eph. 5:18)
Telling others about Christ
- “Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for hope that you have.” I Peter 3:15. It is the responsibility of every Christian to share the Good News with those whom God brings us into contact. We practice personal sharing about Christ and inviting friends to church